26 September 2011

Dirt Cake

With Jack being out of town, I decided to pay a visit to my family.  Luckily, it was also over the week of my younger sister's birthday and not just any old birthday--her golden birthday.  This year, she's 26 on the 26th of September!

My golden birthday was when I was six and I vaguely remember nearly being run over by a woman speeding by in the school zone close to my elementary school.  Though I was in the crosswalk, she jumped out of her car and yelled at me to watch where I was going.  Then my mom took me to the mall where I got my ears pierced, an event I'd been waiting for forever.  It was an emotional roller coaster of a day to say the least.

My baby sister's golden birthday was destined to be fabulous (and not only because I made a guest appearance, haha!).  I thought it would be fun to relive some of her birthdays past and make a family favorite: dirt cake.
It's delicious, easy and there's an appeal to kids who enjoy pretending to eat dirt.  I must be young at heart because I still love it too.

Here's what you'll need:
24 Oreos, crushed

Mix together:
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) margarine or butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 8 oz cream cheese block, softened


Mix together:
12 oz whipped topping
2 3 1/2 oz Instant French Vanilla Pudding

3 1/2 cup milk

Combine the two mixtures.  In an 8 or 9 inch planter, layer pudding mixture with crushed Oreos.  Continue layering pudding mixture with Oreos until pudding mixture is gone.  Top with rest of crushed Oreos.  Refrigerate.

***What would a dirt cake be without gummy worms?!  Add gummy worms to the pudding mixture and place a few on top!***
The birthday girl and her new baby!
Happy Birthday!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...