(As a side note, this is also a great recipe to use up cracker crumbs--our animal crackers were in pieces after Evelyn carried the bag around like her baby for an afternoon but in a trail mix, it doesn't matter that they aren't whole).
Combine about 8 to 10 cups of any of the following ingredients:
- Popped, lightly salted popcorn
- Mini pretzels or pretzel sticks
- Roasted peanuts, sunflower seeds, toasted sesame seeds, almonds, pecans or mixed nuts, etc
- Raisins, craisins, dried dates, dried apricots, shredded coconut, etc
- Chopped graham crackers, dry cereal (Cheerios, Chex Mix, Granola, etc), rolled oats, animal crackers, mini peanut butter crackers, etc
- Miniature marshmallows
- Semisweet chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, peanut butter chips, etc
The combinations are endless but no matter how it's made, it turns out lightly sweet and scrumptious.